Hello Newcomer, welcome to the Moving2Canada community!

This community is a support network for all topics around immigration to Canada. We operate a friendly, welcoming forum, so please consult the Community Links on the right (desktop) or at the bottom (mobile) of the page as well as the Rules & Guidelines of this forum before posting: https://forum.moving2canada.com/discussion/10/please-read-before-posting-forum-rules-guidelines

We are glad to have you!

Qualified for CEC

MarthaAMarthaA Posts: 2Member Newcomer


I've been living and working in Canada for 18 months and as my 2 year IEC Working Holiday Visa expires in January, it's time to apply for PR. Although I have worked here for 18 months, they have been in 2 different positions and thus two different NOC codes. I'm trying to determine if the experience required is just one year work experience in Canada or if it needs to be one year under the one NOC code? (I have 11 months in one and 7 in the other)?

My boyfriend is also applying but we've been advised against applying as common law - are there any benefits to this?

Thanks in advance!


  • MarcelM2CMarcelM2C Posts: 414Administrator M2C Team

    Hello @MarthaA, welcome to the forum!

    Our CEC article states:

    The one year of experience can be gained in two different NOC codes, so long as they are skilled positions and the work experience is gained legally;

    You should be eligible, as long as you worked in NOC 0, A or B jobs.

    Applying together with your partner may increase your points, so it is certainly worth considering, especially if you don't have the same amount of points. I'm curious, why and by whom were you advised not to apply as common law?

  • MarthaAMarthaA Posts: 2Member Newcomer

    Thanks for the confirmation @MarcelM2C that is what I thought! They are both NOC B jobs and gained legally.

    We both have the same point individually and when calculated together common law only adds an additional 20 points. We have friends that were in the same position and informed us that applying as common-law is more complicated and the process takes longer.

    Thansk again for your help.

Sign In or Register to comment.