Hello Newcomer, welcome to the Moving2Canada community!

This community is a support network for all topics around immigration to Canada. We operate a friendly, welcoming forum, so please consult the Community Links on the right (desktop) or at the bottom (mobile) of the page as well as the Rules & Guidelines of this forum before posting: https://forum.moving2canada.com/discussion/10/please-read-before-posting-forum-rules-guidelines

We are glad to have you!

Job applications, feedback & generally on job seeking

Hello everyone, I think I need help with my job search.

My wife and I have the IEC approved. Basically we can take the next flight to Canada and... yeah, what now?

I'm looking for an IT job in Canada since July. In my current location, I believe I have a very strong skill set. I get about 2 job offers per month on linkedin, without applying anywhere. I've been sending about 10-15 applications per week to Canadian companies, but I only received a few responses (rejections) without feedback, so I think there is something I don't know.

I'm using jobboards mostly: glassdoor, indeed and couple of others. I used linkedin, but I get completely no responses from these offers, so currently I'm only focusing on glassdoor and indeed.

I still have a couple of months before the IEC approval expires, so... any ideas, tips, advices are more than welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• HugoM2CHugoM2C Posts: 75Administrator M2C Team

Hi @michal_stankiewicz, where in Canada are you moving to? Decided yet?

• michal_stankiewiczmichal_stankiewicz Posts: 3Member Newcomer

Hello @HugoM2C, I think it's not that important to me. I was picky at the beginning of my job search (Toronto), but currently I don't look at the job location (with the exception of Quebec - I don't know french). At this point I just really don't want to waste the IEC opportunity.

I get ya, @michal_stankiewicz. First off, I wouldn't waste the opportunity, as you outline yourself. If that means traveling to Canada without a job lined up, so be it. Toronto is definitely the area with the most jobs in IT, but that means it's also the place with the most candidates looking for work.

Are you adapting your resume for each application? Does your resume speak in terms of Problem/Situation >> Action taken >> Results/Achievement? This is crucial. I urge you to read this guide: https://moving2canada.com/resume-format-in-canada/

Next, have you liaised with any recruiters? These can link you up with a job. Start by searching for broad terms like 'Tech recruiters in {city}' and get in touch with them.

• michal_stankiewiczmichal_stankiewicz Posts: 3Member Newcomer

Thank you HugoM2C, that's a lot of useful information. I know that I have to adapt my resume, and I've been trying. I guess I have to do it better. I'll try to get in touch with recruiters also. Thanks!

You're welcome, @michal_stankiewicz